Cherry Pie- Serves 6 (well probably only 4 in my portions!)
1 Packet of sweet shortcrust pastry (feel free to make it but shop bought is fine)
1 Punnet of cherries (de-stoned and halved)
1 tin of tapioca
2 tablespoons of caster sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
1 teaspoon of almond essence
Handful of flaked almonds
1 egg beaten for brushing
1. Preheat the oven to 180 c
2. Roll out your pastry on a lightly floured surface to a size that will fit your pie dish. You'll need a bit left over to do the lattice top so keep that to one side. Gently line the pie dish with the pastry.
3. Layer the cherries on the bottom of the pastry dish- you just need a single layer.
4. In a bowl mix together the tapioca, sugar, almond essence and vanilla essence and then pour this over the cherries evenly.
5. Roll out your left over pastry and cut it into strips and place onto the pie into a lattice design. Brush with the beaten egg and sprinkle over the flaked almonds.
6. Place into the over for 30 minutes and then turn the oven up to 200 c for the last 20-30 mins. Keep checking the pie as you don't want it to burn but just been golden brown on top. Serve with cream/ice cream or custard!
This is a very easy pie to make and looks like you've put a lot more effort in than you actually have!